Friday, March 21, 2008

GIFTED AND TALENTED:

Not so nifty as it sounds. Always knew I was different...not stupid, just different. I understood complex problems and was always coming up with an invention of some sort. Maybe a little slow, seemed like it took me twice as long to complete a task than anyone else. I hated cleaning my room; it would take me all day. Two hours to do the dishes and we had a dishwasher. Just wasn't interested in anything unless it intrigued my brain, like taking the dishwasher apart to see how it worked!

As long as we learned the Catechism, the same fifty kids were pushed through Parochial School, year after year. I could not do some of the required general math. Just wouldn't stay in my brain, just floated away! Yep, I know math is a science, once I got to the point were I could use a calculator, no problem! I was also uncoordinated, was never picked for a sport team. Was always the last one standing there red faced.

On the other hand, I couldn't get enough of science. I lived and dreamed science. Mammal, insect, reptile and plant collections of all sorts, took up every available space in my bedroom. Never could figure out why no one else was interested in my microscope and chemistry set except for a couple relatives. I was almost expelled from school one day because I presented Sister Frederica a bouquet of roses from my mother's garden. A honeybee had died while feasting right in the middle of the bunch. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen...SF did not think so.

I had some cousins on my mom's side of the family, who lived a couple hours away. They spent a couple weeks at our home every summer and sometimes holidays during the year. Their visits would make my whole year. Five kids, the oldest girl, Sally, was a year and a half older than me, the next girl, Linda, was two weeks older. Then there was a boy two years younger and two more girls but it was Sally and Linda who shared my freakazoidness. We did the neatest things together and what great times we had!

Sally was the boldest of us three. I'll never forget the looks on two poor old ladies' faces as they screeched to a halt, eyes popped out, mouths wide open in soundless screams. They were driving up the street and spotted a ten year old kid, weaving around with a coat hanger skewered through her torso. Half a bottle of ketchup gave the gag a gruesome appearance as well as Sally's horrid expression and the hand with more ketchup flailing around. She was so good! By the way, she is now a teacher for "gifted and talented" children!

Years later after we were all grown up, I happen to read a soft cover book written by Sally's oldest daughter, Karen Isaacson, about rearing "gifted and talented" kids, "Raisin' Brains". It won an award and is worth reading. This was the first time I had ever heard the term "gifted and talented" used. I cried for an hour...I finally knew why I was different and it had a name! (CONT.)

No comments: