Sunday, March 9, 2008

PINK PIGGIES:

I remember watching the TV show "Green Acres" when I was young, never dreaming I'd be "Farm Living" myself one day. I don't know anyone with a pet pig. I take that back...I do know a lot of people who had pet porkers but none that lived in their house. Pet pigs are adorable until they get to be about a year old. Seems that's true with a lot of animals, cute until the hormones kick in, then they become obnoxious. Knowing this, I named my pink piggies "Roast" and "Ribs".

When the day came, I took the 1 hour drive to the city and went shopping at the mall. Shopping can get my mind off most anything. Returning to the farm at night, I would find the chest freezer full of neat packages wrapped in nice white paper. The butcher was used to dealing with squeamish people like me so he assured me it was NOT my pigs he had left for me. It was years later when I discovered he told everyone the same thing and it WAS my pet porkers I was BBQing. Now I'm glad he lied because I never would have been able to even cook a piece of that meat, let alone eat it!

This Granny has another gripe. Why, in this day and age, is boxing legal?

2 comments:

CHICK P said...

About boxing. We need it! From the days of the Christians thrown to lions and the biggest "buck" slaves pitted against each other, man has had a need to watch something bleed. It seems to be even better when there is torture involved. When my husband and I were in Mexico, we saw things that were really gruesome. Some involved people and some involved animals. I'll bet anything the beef slaughter house that got in trouble for toturing animals last month had probably hired Mexican laborers. They're not the only ones. Men all over the world are involved in something hidious.
At least boxers can make a lot of money (which is why they're in it), but if you want real blood and guts watch extreme cage fighting. Soon you will be able to watch one guy kill another right there on your own TV! The other program you should watch (even if it's just once) is on TruTv, it's called "Most Shocking" and you'll see what I mean about men having that little extra kill cell hidden deep in the brain.
Where's the mayo recipe?

Grammie Hoffman in WA said...

I hear what your saying! It's true but why? Isn't hunting animals enough? True to life "blood lust" videos? Just doesn't make sense to me that people beat each other up (and cause brain and other damage) for money or glory...and it's LEGAL!! In this day and age??