Wednesday, April 30, 2008

KEEPING IT REAL:


Me before farm... Me now...

I rose with the sun today. Rain was expected and I had a million things to do outside so an early start was in order. We have these big, stickery tumble weeds called Russian Thistles that blow in from God knows where, seed themselves and then roll on to someone else's field. Last year I didn't have cows so the thistles grew and grew and grew. Cows don't eat them but their hoofs knock the little ones out of the ground and end their pesky lives.

It's been windy and I noticed yesterday the weeds are anticipating their journey into our neighbors newly planted wheat fields...this is NOT good! So, armed with a couple small propane torches, a lighter, rake, shovel and pitchfork, I set out this morning to attack the enemy before they got too wet to burn.

Starting in acres where equipment is stored, I toured the area and checked out implements I didn't want to burn and noticed how old they are. Plows, packers, weeders, seeders, harrows and disks, some with old metal wheels hunkered here and there. Still usable but rusty and worn!

As I went to work, had to smile as I compared this equipment with our neighbor's tractor set up with a GPS system. I see that rig pulling new, shiny implements across perfectly precise planted hills. Farmer John doesn't even have to steer!

The rain never came and I kept pulling up and burning those blasted tumble weeds and working till I felt like I was going to drop. Finally, it was too dark to see so I gave up and trudged into the house. As I passed the dining room mirror, I caught a glimpse of myself. Stopping to ponder my reflection, I realized that I'm not the same person who came here to take care of Old Pa and this farm years ago. Letting my hair grow out grey isn't the only change, ... still usable but rusty and worn!

3 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

something I always tell my father... you have a choice... live as you are to day or the alternitive... which is death...or like I told my mother a few weeks ago as she babbles on and on at one of my old pictures... YEAH mom I do look young there I WAS ONLY 20 I am not suppose dto look 20 any more I am proud to look 40 :D

Honestly I hope I look as good as you do when I am older. And Me and miss clarol dont tell how often we meet LOL. I have a head full of gray hair ... thank you BUD
HUGSSSSSSS

Debra said...

Farm life agrees with you, my friend! I love your haircut. So cute!

I enjoyed reading about your busy day! You probably sleep quite well after a day like that.

Hugs,
Deb Dub

crankydee said...

is this a recent recent picture of you I want another one that is not featured in your blog- sorry does this seem mean to bad, show me the picture