Tuesday, May 27, 2008

TIME FLYS:

My youngest son's boy, Kyle, visited me the other day. We went thru some old photo albums and I found this cute one of him as a baby with my dog, Jake. It dawned on me that Kyle is 7 now and Jake was 3 when this was taken.

Jake, a border collie/Australian Shepherd, is the ultimate dog. I knew he was special when I bought him out of a box in OR while on vacation. Wasn't looking for a dog, his caramel colored eyes just spoke to me. We bonded immediately.

He loves commands, either verbal or hand signs. Jake will even do his "business" and eat and drink when told. His favorite things are to attack hose water and dig for mice. So eager to please...and he does, I love him SO much!

Last winter, when we had a football field of crotch-high drifts of snow, I couldn't find one of the cats. Hadn't seen her in a couple days and was starting to worry. Not taking the time to find snowshoes, I trudged out to the old shop late one night...couldn't sleep thinking about Cozy freezing to death. Didn't find her so I started back to the house. With about 30 yd. to go, I lost all energy and kind of leaned to the side in the snow, exhausted. Trying to keep the Wellingtons on my feet and having to dig for them every few steps just wore me out. I laid there in the 18 deg. thinking "this is silly", wondering, who's going to take care of Old Pa?! Before I knew it, Jake was on me like a blanket. He covered me like a comforter until I built my strength enough to continue on and make it back inside, safe.

Cozy was found the next day safe and sound, who knows where she found shelter. Cats are like that tho! Jake is just Jake. I look at him now at age 70 in dog years and I realize how darn fast the years go by. Wish God had made dogs lives longer than 10-15 years or so...doesn't seem right, does it?

The old shop. It's been around for over 100 yr., barely! If I don't remove the roof, don't think it will make it thru another winter like the last one. I want to restore this 1950 Chevy 1 ton truck too.

Time does fly, doesn't it?

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

love the pics!!!!

Grammie Hoffman in WA said...

I was so tired after gardening all day, I got the pics up and went to bed! Just added some words to them. Garden is half in...
so happy to see you here! Hugs, Grammie

Laura ~Peach~ said...

ok I love the explanation even more ... it is not fair that dogs lives are so short... I hope you get to resotre the truck that would be an AWESOME project! the old building has such character I hope that you are able to do with it what you want... my garden is flourishing like it has never before I am so happy with it.
HUGSSSS
Laura
i sent the candy co. an email told them to make me a box of bits of everything cause i am nuts and can't make up my mind but, so far I have not hear back from them ... told them I want 40.00 worth of candies and I will pay shipping on it :-) their candies are just scrumptious looking :D I probably gained 3 pounds just drooling over the pictures LOL

Debra said...

Hi Grammie,

Great post. I so agree with you about the life-span of dogs(and cats, for that matter!). We fall so madly in love with each other and then it's time for them to go. Just doesn't seem fair. Precious picture of your grandson and Jake. They grow too fast.

Hugs,
Debbie

Debra said...

Missing my favorite Grammie! I hope that you are doing well and that things on the farm are productive.

Hugs,
Deb